What are the possible side effects of BETASERON®?
BETASERON® (interferon beta-1b) may cause serious side effects. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any of the serious side effects of BETASERON including:
- See What is the most important information I should know about BETASERON?
Heart problems. BETASERON may worsen heart problems including congestive heart failure. Symptoms of heart problems may include:
- Swollen ankles
- Shortness of breath
- Decreased ability to exercise
- Fast heartbeat
- Tightness in chest
- Increased need to urinate at night
- Not being able to lay flat in bed
Injection site problems. Serious skin reactions can happen in some people including areas of severe damage to skin and the tissue below the skin (necrosis). These reactions can happen anywhere you inject BETASERON. Symptoms of injection site problems may include:
- Swelling, redness, or pain at the injection site
- Fluid drainage from the injection site
- Breaks in your skin or blue-black skin discoloration
Flu-like symptoms. BETASERON can cause flu-like symptoms including:
- Muscle aches when you first start to use it
These symptoms may decrease over time. Taking medicines for fever and pain relief on the days you are using BETASERON may help decrease these symptoms.
- Seizures. Some people have had seizures while taking BETASERON, including people who have never had seizures before. It is not known if the seizures were related to their MS, to BETASERON, or to a combination of both. If you have a seizure after taking BETASERON call your healthcare provider right away.
The most common side effects of BETASERON include:
- Low white blood cell count
- Increases in your liver enzymes
- Increases in your muscle tension
- Problems sleeping
- Stomach pain
Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the possible side effects of BETASERON. For more information, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.